Requirements for Being a SWCD Director
An individual may qualify for a zone position if the land ownership or land management requirements are met. For Option #1, a zone director must own or manage 10 or more acres of land in the district. Zone directors may either:
- Reside within the zone that is represented and own or manage 10 or more acres in the conservation district boundaries OR reside within the conservation district boundaries and own or manage 10 or more acres within the zone that is being represented.
- Be involved in the active management of the property.
- Be a registered voter.
- Reside within the zone that is represented.
- Have served one year as a director or associate director of a conservation district.
- Have a conservation plan approved by the conservation district board.
- Be a registered voter. At-Large Director Eligibility There are no land ownership or management requirements for at-large positions. At-Large Directors must:
- Reside within the boundaries of the conservation district.
- Be a registered voter.
SWCD Director Responsibilities
In order to effectively exercise the powers and authorities as stated in ORS 568, conservation district boards:
- Identify local conservation needs, programs, and services
- Keep its conservation district’s mission (“reason for being”) in focus
- Work effectively with conservation district staff, cooperating agencies, and partners
- Implement conservation district programs effectively
- Be knowledgeable about laws that govern board operations, such as budget, audit, public meetings, and contracting
- Develop and implement a long-range plan and an annual work plan
- Report to the public on conservation district programs and accomplishments
- Inform legislators and local government officials of conservation district accomplishments
- Recruit, train and utilize volunteers and associate directors
- Participate with the Oregon Department of Agriculture in a periodic review of conservation district operations
- Recruit new conservation district directors and associate directors
- Seek new partners in conservation efforts
What zone am i located in?
Find out what zone you're located in by clicking on one of the maps below. The interactive GIS map allows you to choose a layer for 'zones'. You can zoom in and easily find your SWCD zone.
For more information regarding becoming a director, or associate, call or email our Administrative Assistant at 503-623-9680 (EXT 108) or firstname.lastname@example.org